🍃Callaloo & Alaskan King Crab🍃
1 pound fresh Callaloo leaves or Spinach
2 Lbs of Alaskan King Crab Legs
1 Lime (juiced)
1 Sweet Potato (cubed)
4 tbsp Butter (Land O Lakes preferred)
2 teaspoons Garlic
1 cup Yellow Onions (minced)
1 sprig of Scallions (chopped)
1/2 cup of Cilantro/Shado Beni
1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme (whole)
7 All Spice Balls
1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (whole), Jalepeno Pepper (minced with seeds) or Pepper Sauce (1 tsp)
1pkg of Cock Soup (Grace Brand preferably)
1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
3/4 cup Coconut Milk
3 cups Water
1) In a large saute pan, melt 2 tbsp of Butter over medium-high flame. Then add the Garlic and Onions and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes.
2) Now add your spices to create a roux Thyme, All Spice, powdered Cock Soup, Black Pepper, Scotch Bonnet Sauce stirring for 30 seconds. Now add your Sweet Potatoes coating them in the roux.
3) Then throw in your Greens (Callaloo/Spinach,Scallion, Cilantro cook, stirring for 1 minute.
4) Now for the Coconut Milk and Water, let it simmer stirring, until the leaves and sweet potatoes are tender and the liquid is slightly reduced for about 10 minutes.
5) Okay now here’s where I differ, traditionally you’d use a Swizzel Stick, I’m opting for a creamy blended Callaloo. So, remove your Callaloo mixture from the heat and now pour half into a blender and puree, then add more to blend, and then again to finish the pot and pour the remaining in the blender. Pour the now blended mixture back into your pot keeping it warm for serving.
6) Final step (most people would’ve added it in step 3. I want the Crabmeat to have its own separate flavor, adding dimension to the dish) …cooking the Crab Legs. Shell the Legs, getting all the meat out and in a bowl. Now in a medium- large sauté pan your going to add your remaining 2 tbsp of Butter. Add remaining Onion and Garlic, cook till Onions are clear. Add Cilantro and Black Pepper it should be a dry mixture now. Then add your Lime Juice and Crab Meat and stir till the meat is cooked.
7) To serve pour your Soup into bowls then add your Crab Leg Meat and finish by garnishing the bowl with Cilantro,Crab Claw and a sliver of Lime.
Peace Be Your Journey…