Red Velvet & Blue Velvet Pop Tarts w Coconut Glaze | Photo & Food by NZINGHA for ZLounge: Nouvelle Caribbean Cuisine
Ok, by now if you’ve been following this blog you have surmised that I am a Red Velvet lover! But you know I’d gotten bored in seeing it in the same ol formats , cake, cupcakes, cake pops, I wanted this week to try to execute that same lovely Flavor into different forms.
I think I’ve done some of it and be sure you’ll see more Red Velvet additions from me. So, this morning I wanted to try my hand at making homemade Pop Tarts. Now I’ve seen them do the Red Velvet but I’d not seen her sister Blue Velvet done…so here was my shot at different and variety. Which to me makes the spice of life!
Not bad for my first try I’d say! Turned out lovely. I had a little overflow of filling while baking but not so much that it was horrific. What I do know about this recipe is that you’ll want to add a bit more Cream Cheese for the filling just to make the filling thicker so while cooking it won’t be too too liquidy just using regular store bought frosting.
🍃Red Velvet & Blue Velvet Homemade Pop-Tarts🍃
2 cups of Belgian Waffle Mix
1 bottle of Blue Food Coloring
1 bottle of Red Food Coloring
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
1 tsp of Red Velvet Flavoring
2 sticks of Butter
2 cups of Cream Cheese Frosting (add a bit more Cream Cheese for filling, making it more dense)
1/2 cup Confectioners Sugar
1/2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
3 tsp of Coconut Water
Rainbow Sprinkles and Blue Colored Sugar (for topping)
Pre-heat oven to 425.
1) On a Silpat mat (this way is best so you don't have to lift and transfer tarts because they'll already be in place for your baking) Roll out dough, and with a knife, cut off the round edges so the dough is a square.Set edges aside, you can use them in the next batch.
2) Now you're going to cut the tart shape into your dough. Cut the dough down the middle with your, knife, then cut into whatever size rectangles you want and continue with the other pieces of dough.
3) Now work quickly placing 1-2 tsp. of your Cream Cheese filling in the center of each rectangle and place another piece of dough on top, pressing edges together with a fork. Then with a crimping cookie cutter square off all the edges, reserve any left over dough pieces.
4) Warning: please be sure the edges of your Tart are sealed all the way, or your filling will spill out during the cooking process.
5) Now transfer Pop Tarts that are on your Silpat Mat on an ungreased pan and bake in the pre heated oven for 7-8 minutes, until they are golden brown.
6) As your Tarts are cooking youre going to make your glaze. In a medium sized bowl add all of your glaze ingredients and mix them until uou have a smooth flowing lumpless mixture you can pour. Now take the mixture to the fridge to cool until your Tarts are ready.
7) Now your Tarts should be done. take them out of the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes. So, when your Tarts are cool, glaze them and then add your sprinkles to the tops.
Peace Be Your Journey…